Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Staging" my Closet (cleaning my mess)


I have been putting off cleaning out my closet for a year. I'm a closet and drawer stuffer. People come into my house and think I have it all together because it's decorated so nicely and is usually reasonably clean. Little do they know that if they open the wrong cupboard drawer, a pan lid will come flying down on their head or an avalanche of Tupperware will fall like domino's all over the room. If you need to find a pen to write with in my house, you have to hunt through seven junk drawers. After all that, you're still more likely to find one on an archaeological dig in the couch cushions. Dave gets frustrated because we don't have a place where we keep ordinary household things -like scissors for instance. (I forgot to mention that he is a very organized person) He's learned to find the scissors by asking me questions like, "Where is the last place you think you might have used the scissors?" instead of "Where do we keep the scissors?" He only gets blank stares with the last question. So when I could no longer walk in my closet without tripping over boots, half finished craft projects and clothes I've outgrown, I decided to get busy and clean up the mess. Now as I mentioned in another blog, my cleaning style is similar to that of Lisa Douglas's from Green Acres - the old television sitcom. Remember how she did the dishes? She just wrapped them all up in the tablecloth after they ate and threw the whole thing out the window. That kind of cleaning has always worked well for me. Not so well for family members who attach a higher value to their belongings. They do have a point. A little hoarding gene in my DNA would have made me a more balanced person. So, as I looked upon a pile of ugly sweaters preparing to throw them in a garbage bag, I remembered the article in the new Country Living magazine that had just arrived. Guess what? Sweaters are the latest repurposing fad. I'm all about repurposing so I gave it a try. My two vase covers aren't going to set the town on fire, but I'm practicing with my hot glue gun. I've included pictures from Country Living of other projects made from old sweaters. If you would like instructions, email me. If you need old sweater's, come on over! Or visit your local thrift store where the usually sell for a dollar or two.



No comments:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make your own picture slideshow


I changed my font at scrappinblogs.blogspot.com


Beachy Bedroom

Beachy Bedroom

Shabby Chic Living Room

Shabby Chic Living Room
Powered by Blogger.

Shabby Chic Dining Room

Shabby Chic Dining Room