Sunday, January 31, 2010

Homemade Fabric Softener... Update



I heard from a bunch of you that you were going to try the hair conditioner softener recipe I used. I wasn't happy with the smell (surprise, surprise) It smelled good when I poured it in, but when the clothes came out of the dryer, I couldn't smell it on them. Maybe it was the brand of hair conditioner? If you have had luck finding a good conditioner brand, please post your comments under the blog so we all can know! In the meantime, I had a friend who studies aromatherapy recommend this recipe to me. I bought some essential oils at Whole Foods and tomorrow I will set up my mad scientist laboratory. Here is the recipe:
I have a recipe for homemade fabric softener that uses essential oils for scent. In a recycled gallon sized vinegar Jug add 2 cups baking soda and 2 cups distilled white vinegar. When mixture finishes foaming add 4 cups of hot water and essential oils to desired strength. I use 20 drops each of lavender and lemon. Shake before each use and add about 1 cup for large loads in the rinse cycle. Essential oils can be found at health food stores locally and of course on the Internet. They are a bit expensive but last a very long time. Hope this was helpful to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue - Does your homemade softener do a good job of softening your clothes or is the primary purpose to make them smell good? Thanks! Barb

A well Loved Home said...

well, I don't notice my clothes being "stiff", so I guess they are soft! I always used fabric softener for smell and to get rid of static cling. I never have that anymore.

Barb said...

I would like to know what the conditioner is - to get rid of the static in my hair! Thanks! Barb

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make your own picture slideshow


I changed my font at scrappinblogs.blogspot.com


Beachy Bedroom

Beachy Bedroom

Shabby Chic Living Room

Shabby Chic Living Room
Powered by Blogger.

Shabby Chic Dining Room

Shabby Chic Dining Room